One of the most important qualities of a teacher or tutor in addition to knowing their academic content area is to make students feel comfortable and confident to share the difficulties that they are having with the subject matter. So often students feel embarrassed or ashamed to ask for help, but without asking questions many students continue to fall through the cracks and further behind in the material. Some ways that teachers and tutors can help their students feel more comfortable include the following:
1) Let students know if they have no questions perhaps they are not challenging themselves.
2) Let students know that making errors is the only way to grow and learn.
3) Let students know that all people make mistakes even their teachers and tutors. No one is perfect.
4) Let students know that by asking a question they are probably helping many other students that have the same question but are afraid to ask as well.
5) Let students know that you are proud of them when they do ask a question.