If you are looking to encourage your children to read or read with them while teaching them different life lessons, morals, history, and science, here are some suggestions:
1) The Great Kapok Tree by Lynn Cherry- explores science topics, cultures, sequencing, personification, maps and more.
2) Goonie Bird Green by Lois Lowry- teaches multiple meaning words and storytelling ideas.
3) Ralph Tells a Story by Abby Hanion is a picture book about a struggling child who isn’t sure he has a story to tell. This can be used as an inspirational book.
4) Sixteen Seconds in 16 Years: the Sammy Lee STory by Paula Yoo and Dom Lee is a book used to teach that people of many different cultures face discrimination.
5) Wilma Unlimited: How Wilma Rudolph BEcame the World’s Fastest Woman by Kathleen Krull and Davis Diaz teaches lessons about perseverance and determination.
I have also done some research and there are some great links that have additional ideas below:
at the bottom of this article there are 15 suggestions for teaching through historical fiction